The McGrath's Fish House in Milwaukie was damaged by fire that was started by hot ashes.
Tuesday around 5:30 a.m., a Milwaukie Police officer patrolling a parking lot noticed a fire burning outside of the McGrath's Fish House on Oak Street in Milwaukie.
Clackamas Fire Crews quickly arrived to find a small fire on the exterior of the building and went to work to extinguish, confining the fire to the exterior wall. Light smoke traveled throughout the building and was ventilated using large fans to push the smoke out. No injuries were reported and the restaurant was not open for business at the time of the fire.
Fire Investigators were on scene and have concluded that the fire started from improperly discarded ashes that were placed to close to the combustible wood siding. Damage to the building has been estimated at $15,000-20,000.
Fire fighters warn that ashes should be placed in a non-combustible container of water so they can cool prior to placing them in the trash.