A SW Portland man was severely burned when chemicals exploded blowing out the wall of his condo.
Thursday night, a condominium complex east of Catlin Gable School on Barnes Road was rocked by an explosion. It blew the wall off one of the units.
First-arriving firefighters were met by several excited residents who confirmed that they heard a loud bang and saw flames from a second-story unit.
22-year-old Nicholas Broms had severe burns to his upper body. He was taken to a hospital.
The Washington County Sheriff's office says he was cooking marijuana into hashish when the chemicals became unstable and exploded.
Meanwhile firefighters searched the building to ensure that no one else was injured as a result of the explosion which blew out the back portion of the affected unit.
Most of the fire had already been extinguished by neighboring resident Taylor Brown who responded immediately after hearing and seeing the blast. Brown used three extinguishers to snuff several spot fires and his quick action prevented the fire spreading to nearby condominiums. With the exception of the resident of the affected unit, no one was displaced.
The Sheriff's Office says it was legal for Broms to possess marijuana, apparently meaning he has a medical marijuana card, but it's against the law to change the composition of the marijuana making it into hashish.